Friday, January 28, 2005

Language = Power

My parents were coffee farmers in Vietnam. To them, graduating from middle school was an unreachable dream. My grandparents did not have that kind of money, to send the kids to school and to feed the family. For both of my parents, they were obligated to drop out of school and started working in the fields to help support the family. They had to accept that responsibility. Though, they know people can not live off just acceptance. Acceptance does not equal food, a career, or an improvement to the community. My parents taught me the concept to accept what you can not change and change what you can not accept. I can not alter my native language and neither can I alter the language of power in America. That, I must accept. Also, I have learned from my parents the power of language. People use English the universal language to communicate, exchange, and prosper. As a minority student, I can learn the language of power to survive. That does not mean Vietnamese language is less important. My parents always say language equals power. If that is true then two times the language equals two times the power.

It would be nice if anyone can comment on my grammar. I would like to know what to improve on.

ThuNguyet Le

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home