Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Kristin's Response to Delpit

1.

I am preparing to be a high school teacher in Oregon after I graduate from graduate school in the next three years. As a teacher, I know that no two students are alike. This means that I will be teaching classrooms full of young adults who all learn and process information in different ways. After reading Delpit’s article, I will always be aware of the fact that some of my students will be totally unaware of the linguistic codes of power. For example, if I assign homework in a passive way and say, “ I would like for you to turn in the homework no later than tomorrow morning,” the students who think that I would literally just like them to turn it in and no actually require them to turn it in probably won’t turn in the homework. I need to be assertive and direct as a teacher in order for all of my students to be relieved from confusion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home