Monday, April 16, 2007

Chapter 1

The part of this chapter that I liked was the first page in dealing with the sudy of grammar. I found the paragraph about how we could connect with between the grammar lessons that we have learned and the ones that were learned by Greek and Roman schoolboys long ago. I also liked learning about when the first text book was published and how most grammar books stem from that first book nowadays. I also enjoyed seeing a defintion that explained what grammar is. I liked reading about regionalsims. There is so much different American dialects. In the south they say you all or you'll, in parts of Philadelphia you hear youse and in the Applicahain region you hear you-uns. Lastly, I liked reading about ain't. I never knew that ain't was part of the English conversational language back in the seventeenth and Eighteenth centuries. Nowadays, using ain't is seen as uneducated or ignorant. I personally don't believe this, I think that we as a culture are lazy with our speech. When I hear someone say ain't I just think that they want to be cool or are too lazy to say anything else.

I leave you all with this...
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

3 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger albert smith said...

I don't think we are lazy as a culture with our speech--I think we're efficient. Contractions let us say more things, faster. It is a form of compression in our language. It also lets us stratify meaning. That is, if the contraction form is in common use, suddenly we can allow the un-contracted form to take on additional meaning.

This sort of reminds me of the great vowel shift where English went from a language where differences in words were determined by the length of a vowel to a language where diphthongs rule and suddenly different words no longer need to be carefully timed, allowing us to speak more quickly.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger max said...

I'm amazed at how fast other languages sound when heard by a non-speaker, such as me, when I listen to the conversations around campus in Arabic, or Thai, or Chinese, or even Spanish.

I don't know if other languages structure themselves around diphthongs or vowels or not, though.

What is a diphthong anyway?

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger KJ said...

I never thought of contractions as a way of being more efficient, though it makes perfect sense now that I've read it. However, there are rules by which contractions can be used, and can be created, and "ain't" just ain't one of them. (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home