Wednesday, April 11, 2007

First post

Reading chapter 1 was interesting, but nothing really struck me as absolutely fascinating since most of it is either common sense or something that I've covered in a previous class (PSY - Language Acquisition or ANTH - Language in the U.S.A.) However, I did find the example in the discussion of "Language Change" interesting on how the translations of the same thing vary at different times.

How would you "translate" these in 2007?
1) Fancy the happiness of Pinocchio on finding himself free!
2) But whom shall I ask?
3) Without adding another word, the marionette bade the good Fairy good-by.

5 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger feebeef said...

1) Wow, Pinocchio sure looks happy roaming about there.
2) Who do I ask?
3) He didn't say anything else except telling the good fairy goodbye. (I don't know that one is kind of hard.)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

Hey, I really like your question. It is interesting how language changes over time and people need to translate works sixty years later.

1. Imagine what Pinocchio felt when he was free.
2. Who should I ask?
3. Without another word, the marionette told the fairy good-bye. (Or perhaps he waved good-bye if he didn’t actually add another word.)

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger albert smith said...

1) Imagine how Pinocchio felt when he discovered that he was free!
2) Who should I ask?
3) Without another word, the pupped waved good bye to the fairy.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger albert smith said...

I translated these before reading anyone else's comments. I find the similarities interesting :-).

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger VictorK said...

1) Imagine the happiness Pinocchio felt as he was free.
2)But whom should I ask?
3)Wordlessly, the marionette waved goodbye to the fairy. Woohoo...I got it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home