Sunday, May 04, 2008

Power Struggles

Question #1: 

The most important thing that I took from the Delpit article that could be applied to my future classroom was the mistake that many teachers make.  Many teachers try to resist exhibiting power in their classrooms because they feel it somehow takes away power from the students.  This creates a problem, however, because, especially in a High School, a teacher must be viewed as an authority figure or else there will be no respect or structure in the classroom.  The example said that students felt like the teacher was not approachable and that they were on their own.  I am glad to be aware of this common mistake so that I will have a smaller chance of making the same one when I start teaching.  Since I will be teaching High School, it will be especially important to make the distinction between these two power extremes.  In my classroom, I will make sure that students know I am available to help them but also give them freedom to learn on their own.   

3 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Blogger Brittney said...

I think this stance represents a good compromise:

"I will make sure that students know I am available to help them but also give them freedom to learn on their own."

I have a concern with this quote:

"The example said that students felt like the teacher was not approachable and that they were on their own."

I read the example differently. I thought the students felt like they were on their own and desired a more authoritative and didactic teacher. Approachable has a different connotation to me, in that I would associate approachability with a less-authoritative teacher. In fact, I think the problem is finidng that balance, between authority and approachability, and you hit upon this balance at the end of your post.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

I like what you learned from this article. Delpit was generalizing that Black students get frustrated with non-authoritative teachers, but I believe that all students are occasionally frustrated by teachers like that.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Zac said...

The best teacher that I had in high school was similar to what you are describing. During his lectures, he was very knowledgeable without being condescending, and one-on-one he was very amiable. Now that I look back on it, his style was similar to that of a college professor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home